If you missed part 1: Design Principle: Lines In Graphic Design
Graphic design is not something that should be put together just to look pretty or without any thought. Effective design uses design principles to have a certain effect on the viewer and to give the viewer direction as to what they should do after seeing the design.
- Making a phone number or email standout if you want the viewer to call
- Using contrast to make a button standout and get the viewers to click through to a different page
- Properly spacing objects in your work
- Using the right colors to give off a certain feeling based on the message your trying to send out
Understanding design principles can help get you better results and make your designs a lot more effective as well as making you more valuable and professional as a designer. These are just some examples of different techniques that can be used and should be thought about when designing something.
Balance: The distribution of visual weight within a composition.
- Lack of balance can be disturbing to the viewer.
- A well balanced design can help make things clear and easier for the viewer to see.
- Directs attention to the whole design not just a specific area or element.
- Mastering balance can make your work more effective.
- A balanced design makes the viewer feel more comfortable and at ease.
- Used to direct viewers attention or focus on a certain area.
- Uses the center as the most significant part.
- Used to organize your work
- Useful in web design when organizing how your pages will be displayed.
- Often used to portray stability, seriousness, and elegance.
- Can be used to give off a sense of tension or movement in your work.
- Used to display a carefree type of look.
- Used to make elements of a design more appealing.
- Used to make something standout such as a button you want the user to click on a website
- Can be used to make something standout by making it a different color, size, or shape from all of the others.
- Used to attract he viewers eyes to a certain page, or to an area you want immediate attention to go to.